AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spray foam cost - open cell to closed cell
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

45Deere9670
Posted 12/29/2020 11:06 (#8705625 - in reply to #8705551)
Subject: RE: Spray foam cost - open cell to closed cell

St. Joseph, Champaign County, IL
DixieDeere - 12/29/2020 10:28

I'm not saying I'm up on the vocabulary, and I built and researched in 2013 so it's been a while.  All I'm saying is that R value as it's assigned to fiberglass, cellulose, or even concrete block walls is not applicable to foam.  When the industry started out an R value per inch was put in place for code enforcement.  What I found out, and what my installer complained about, was he had to put more insulation on unnecessarily due to the code, and in many cases had to use closed cell at a higher cost due to space restrictions.  For example a 2x4 would have to be covered with 6" and couldn't be shaved if using open cell, so closed cell had to be used.

If R-value isn’t applicable to spray foam insulation, how can companies claim certain R-values per inch of spray foam? Why wouldn’t R-value be able to be measured for spray foam, the exact same way it’s measured for other insulation’s?

Sounds to me like the issues you had in 2013 are more with the code/ code enforcement possibly not being up to speed on the insulating properties/ ratings of spray foam.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)