AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

House insulation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jedeka
Posted 12/25/2020 14:21 (#8696916)
Subject: House insulation

Boone, Iowa

Merry Christmas to everyone !  I have a question on house insulation.  The GF and I are starting to remodel my house.  It is a two-story house that was built in the early 1900’s.  There is some blown-in insulation in the exterior walls, but not very even.  All of the lath and plaster are going to be pulled off and starting fresh from studs out.  Any electrical, HVAC changes will be made before insulation is put in.  My question is about the open-cell, closed-cell and batt insulation.  I know the spray-in cost more and would probably be a good thing in this older house.  We plan on putting batt insulation inside the interior walls for noise baffling.  Any thoughts on comparison between these three types of insulation?  Should the underside of the roof be sprayed to create a complete “envelope“ of the house?  If so, is any extra venting required?  I thought about laying batt insulation in the third story (attic) that would cover the 2nd story ceilings.  Is payback on heating/cooling bills noticeable enough to use the spray foam?  Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)