AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Setting up a computer for Mom
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/20/2009 08:05 (#686578)
Subject: Setting up a computer for Mom

West Union, Illinois

Dad had a DTN box for years.  For quite a while the radar has been less than acceptable.  Weekends, holidays, and when you really needed it, it was behind.  When she got the renewal notice last month Mom said she wasn't paying over $700 a year for THAT (which I agreed to). So we are in the process of getting a high speed internet connection there, either through our local wireless provider or worse comes to worse Wild Blue.  We then hope to run a wireless router and connect to the shop so we can be online there.

I replaced my XP computer and am taking it for her to use but before I go plan on the dreaded reformat and restore. Anyone have suggestions on how to set it up?  Recommended free anti-varmit software, etc?

My current plant is Firefox, Thunderbird, and Open Office.  Unsure what anti-virrus/anti-spyware to use. The desktop will be pretty empty with bare necessities and icons links to radar, prices, and some local sites like weather, obits, river stage, etc. on it.

It needs to be as simple to use as possible.  We took Mom an old 98 box one of the kids had in college and she has mastered Solitare.  That was a suggestion from the daughter.  She said to get Grandma playing that so she as used to the mouse and how the computer worked.

What am I missing, need to do, need to avoid?  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)