AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

log me in
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 4/24/2009 23:31 (#692077 - in reply to #689676)
Subject: Re: log me in

Grand Rapids, MI
christianh - 4/22/2009 16:10

Well, if you have two computers routed to one internet connection, they are on a secure network - they're behind a firewall (the router).

We use it over the web... just through a private network. I've tried RemotePC, the Citrix product, and pretty much every other remote access app. Remote Desktop works best on Windows, and VNC (over ssh) on Linux.

OK, we are on the same page. I agree, if the two computers are on the same network, and have a windows version that has remote desktop (I don't think XP Home does) it is definately the way to go.

If you are connecting over a public network (ie the internet) then if your needs are modest, I would suggest trying the free version of logmein. Setup is so easy that I suspect a monkey could get two computers connected 90% of the time. Setting up a VPN is going to be considerably more involved, especially if the user doesn't have a static address. If someone is not network savvy, you would probably pay someone several hundred dollars to set it up. Of course if you go a hardware solution, it is free after that with the exception if a static IP costs more which it often does. There are ways to work around a dynamic IP, but I am not sure I would recommend them to anyone who can't fix their own network.

Still it is good to realize what is available with Remote Desktop so that if the free logmein.com is not meeting your needs you know what the options are.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)