AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the "free" pickup project. post 1 of........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

wurtzy
Posted 11/30/2020 13:57 (#8635249)
Subject: the "free" pickup project. post 1 of........

Valley, NE
So I need another project like i need a hole in my head. I was gifted a free pickup from my brother. To make a long story short, this was my brother's high school pickup that he blew the motor in back in 2005, dropped a new crate motor in then put another 30k on it through vet school and his stint in Montana. Over the years and growing up, he ended up with vet trucks and then the tranny went bad, so the truck has basically been sitting for about 6 years. It was "gifted" to me since I have kids driving age, and "it'll make a really good pickup for them kids." The best thing about this whole deal is I'm not a mechanic and I despise wrenching on stuff, but for as fullblooded German I am, I'm awfully Dutch when it comes to sending things to a professional, so I've picked up the ability to tear things apart and pout them back together a few things over the years with the help of Youtube. so he's the specs: 1988 Chevy 1500 4X4, regular cab long box ,with a newer box on it. little rust, and pretty square. We had it running like a top yesterday, evicted a cople mice out of the exhaust tips at about 30mph (lol the kids loved that), I'm sure i'll be back needing advice and I'll let you know how everything goes this winter. The 14 year old hopes to upgrade to the Chevy from the 2003 minivan

The issues (so far):
transmission is bad no forward or reverse, grinds and whines going to park
brake lines are rusty and needing replaced
master cylinder on brakes is bad
interior needs work on headliner and some definite elbow grease
gas tank has rusted out hole in the bottom
all factory lights work, but accessory lights are shot in the grill guard and reverse lights
exhaust has rust and broken pipes

bUt It'S a FrEe PiCkUp

(chevy1 (full).JPG)

(chevy2 (full).JPG)

(chevy3 (full).JPG)

(chevy4 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments chevy1 (full).JPG (92KB - 231 downloads)
Attachments chevy2 (full).JPG (93KB - 223 downloads)
Attachments chevy3 (full).JPG (106KB - 284 downloads)
Attachments chevy4 (full).JPG (99KB - 270 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)