AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Missed opportunity?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldskool
Posted 11/10/2020 08:14 (#8597387 - in reply to #8596753)
Subject: RE: Missed opportunity?

Big Swede - 11/9/2020 20:38

Correct me if I'm wrong but if a cow aborts because of trich it doesn't mean she is a carrier, right? I know bulls are a different story, they can keep infecting cows. Just because a heifer doesn't breed back doesn't mean she is diseased. I guarantee the guy buying all these heifers today will be exposed to a bull.

We expose all our open young cows for fall breeding, what is the difference?

That is incorrect, it takes a minimum of 120-150 days for cows to clear the infection. And that’s if no bulls are in reinfecting them each time they cycle. If a longtime cattleman like you is uninformed on this issue, imagine how little the hobbyherders that buy 1 open cow at a time off Facebook to put in with a non virgin bull are? Then they sell that junk at the local barn when they run out of hay and the disease cycle continues. You act like trich is the only disease they could have been carrying and it’s no big deal that your little buddy bought them to breed. Just wait until a cull cow tests positive for tb and you have a bordering pasture to the owner. Running your whole herd down a chute 3 times in one month so you can get off the quarantine list and sell/move livestock again will put this subject in a better light for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)