AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

incorporating straw
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bleedgreen720
Posted 10/17/2020 22:10 (#8550939 - in reply to #8550612)
Subject: RE: incorporating straw

AB.
Alberta Cowman - 10/18/2020 18:09

Is the straw chopped or is it long due to being lodged and on the ground?

How heavy of disk are you using? I know my wishek will handle way more trash than my chisel plow will. This was yesterday on some fall rye grazing aftermath. It was only cleared a couple years ago and still has lots of roots otherwise I’d no till it.

I like the job that a pro till does but it’s hard to stomach a 6 figure tillage tool.

It’s easy to spend someone else’s money but I think you should look at a no till disk drill. I am always amazed at what my BG 4710 disk drill will go through. 4’ tall rose bushes and snowed under 70 bu barley crops don’t faze it. I’ve had neighbours say I’m crazy when I tell them I’m going to seed a piece instead of disking it first. Maybe I am?

\

In spots its lodged and long and others the one combine didn't do a great job chopping and straw is long. A wishek would be nice, have an old 20' JD 220 disc. Running the spikes over it then hitting with the disc does a decent job except where the cultivator leaves a few piles. I only crop 600 ish acres, Its tough to fathom spending more than 20-30k on a drill
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)