AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Field fire fighting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 9/29/2020 13:16 (#8521435 - in reply to #8521329)
Subject: RE: Field fire fighting

Faunsdale, AL
I’ve got an old milk truck I use for a water tender while spraying. Since it has a pump on it, we installed a fire hose reel and also an air operated spray nozzle on the left side. That nozzle works great when fighting a field fire in dry weather. Can’t access rough terrain or wet and boggy though. I’ve also delivered water to VFD pumper at a structure fire.

I would keep the 100 gallon source on hand. Nothing worse than using your ABC extinguisher on a machine fire and having it reignite because you can’t cool it down. I have a water/compressed air extinguisher on the combine along with the dry powder extinguisher but the one time I used it, I ran out of water before I ran out of fire! Luckily it only took another gallon jug of water off the pickup truck to finally get it all out. I use a small amount of DAWN detergent in the extinguisher and I think it helps a little. I wonder about some of the pink retardant like the fire bomber aircraft use.

I should keep the milk truck in the field with us during harvest, but it’s another thing to move from field to field, so it usually gets left behind at some point.

Edited by ccjersey 9/29/2020 13:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)