AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats the best shape for new feeding pad with bunks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

olivetroad
Posted 9/16/2020 15:31 (#8499071)
Subject: Whats the best shape for new feeding pad with bunks?

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251

I am going to pour a new concrete pad to feed on next week. I have 30 new 8ft J style bunks coming that i'm going to place on the pad.

The place where I am going to build it is on a ridge that falls off pretty well on both sides for good drainage.  There is plenty of room to build the pad any way I want, and I can fence a alley over to it from existing pens/lots/waterer.  I'm going to also use it as a big catch pen, so it will be fenced and gated.  Pad will be 8 inches thick, with rebar on one foot centers.

I have two different ways I am thinking of doing it.

1. Pour a 22 ft wide pad 250 feet long, with the J bunks down one side, and a fence/gates down the other three sides.  It will have a 15ft gravel road down the side with the bunks, and a turn around at the end for the tractor and TMR wagon to drive on, and come back out empty.  Pad will have a raised four foot wide "sidewalk" that is four inches higher down one side to set the bunks on.  Leaves 18 feet for the cattle to stand on and walk behind each other.  Is 18 feet wide enough for this with a fence up against the edge of the concrete?

2. Pour a 40 foot wide pad, 125 feet long, with the J bunks down the two outside long runs of the pad.  Ends are fenced, and the 15ft gravel drive is basically all the way around the pad to get at both sides to fill the bunks.  Pad will have a raised four foot wide "sidewalk" that is four inches higher, down each side to set the bunks on.  Leaves 32 feet in the center for the cattle to stand at the two sets of bunks and pass back and forth.  Could I make the pad narrower and still have enough room between the two rows of bunks?

What way makes the most sense to you?

By the way.....I know that 8 inch thick concrete with rebar on 12 inch centers is probably overkill, but thats the way we do it here with kiddos and employees that are known to drive bulldozers places they shouldnt.

(0916201507_2 (full).jpg)

(0916201506a_2 (full).jpg)

(0916201506c_2 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0916201507_2 (full).jpg (76KB - 224 downloads)
Attachments 0916201506a_2 (full).jpg (48KB - 378 downloads)
Attachments 0916201506c_2 (full).jpg (48KB - 343 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)