AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeding stockers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Farmerjonathan
Posted 9/15/2020 10:50 (#8496899 - in reply to #8496626)
Subject: RE: Feeding stockers

NorthWest Indiana
For me, I buy from an elevator about 25-35 miles away. They incur all cost of equipment then for grinding, mixing, etc. Buying from them also provides me their feed analyst person and the option to "tweak" our rations depending on circumstances. 2 ton and they deliver to my farm, otherwise we pick it up in bags for small groups of 5 or less. Cold weather/snow coming on, we get a couple ton delivered just to keep for emergency and take off the pressure of hauling bags. I don't worry so much about stale feed in cold weather and molasses getting bad in winter. Your mileage may vary, but I find this the best alternative for me. Used to have a grinder mixer, spent every Saturday grinding feed and then when it was raining it was tough to keep up. Found my local (since he has died and elevator in private farm hands) elevator would grind my ear corn for a nickel a bushel and mix my additives. Win Win, sold the grinder and enjoyed the Saturdays with the kids. Whole corn to me isn't going to get productively used unless you are running a few feeder pigs with your feeder cattle to clean up the wasted corn and then a few chickens to sort through the hog manure (old old style of feeding)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)