AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

erosion control matting and replanting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 9/15/2020 06:06 (#8496377 - in reply to #8494931)
Subject: RE: erosion control matting and replanting

central - east central Minnesota -

conservation cop - 9/14/2020 10:13

We had some waterways that got built late (I guess too late) this spring. They were matted with the double netted straw matting. The success was bad enough that it really should get re-seeded this fall. Of course the issue is how to do it with the matting? I was thinking that the operator should try running the no till drill through the waterway just to see if/how it does. IF it doesn't catch and roll up the matting, I'd like to see it seeded that way. IF it does cause problems then I guess broadcast is the only option.

Thoughts????

I'm assuming there is growth of some kind through the ECB - so, your idea likely could work with the no-till drill. The growth through the ECB should hold it down and keep it from moving when you drive on it.  You have nothing to loose. I'd try it empty and see if any of the netting catches on closing wheel bolts/nuts. If not, load it up and go after it. Right now is a good time to seed it down. Any bare areas (dirt showing) I'd hire some kids or someone to get it covered . . . . . . .

3000ft isn't that much, if It needed new ECB - I know time makes a difference. Maybe a Great project for the local sports teams to do and give a charity donation to that team ? Here, ECB gets bid on at $1.50 - $2.50 liner foot applied by erosion control contractors/seeders.

Good luck and report back.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)