AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight losing GPS - Switch to Radar?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/5/2009 20:52 (#670083)
Subject: Insight losing GPS - Switch to Radar?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
A while back there was a discussion questioning whether the Insight would automatically switch to Radar for speed indications if GPS were lost.

I had my Deere 4720 out on the road today after doing some other testing. As I drove down the road, the Speed Indication on the Insight was coming from GPS. All indications were that I had good GPS.

The speed indication on the Deere Brown Box showed the radar icon. The two were reasonably close but not exactly the same. Possibly the Deere speed cal needs to be tweaked a bit.

Anyway, I turned around and came back towards home and stopped. I purposely disconnected the GPS connector to the Insight. After a few seconds the error message indicating that GPS was lost appeared on the screen. The DGPS indication at the upper right disappeared also as expected.

I then started to drive. The speed indication on the Insight must have switched to radar since I got a speed indication that was relative to the actual speed. In fact it was about twice as fast as it should have been according to the Deere Brown box.

I went to the setup screen for the radar speed and noticed that a default of 2000 was being used. I changed this value to 4000. I then went back to the RUN screen and started moving again. This time the displayed speed on the Insight was quite close to the indicated speed on the Brown box.

Since I got speed with the GPS being disconnected and changing the radar speed cal changed the indicated speed, I am confident that radar was being used. I am also confident in saying that the backup speed (radar in this case) takes over when the primary speed (GPS) is lost. This is the way the older Ag Leader products worked so this seems consistent.

Edited by tedbear 4/6/2009 06:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)