AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tramlines & row shutoffs for 15 inch beans: Ag Leader
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/7/2020 06:03 (#8420233 - in reply to #8418838)
Subject: Feeling brave?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Here's an idea for shutting off individual rows but I' not certain how wise this would be.

Ag Leader wiring harness for clutches for planters with front pusher units typically "tie" pairs together. That is the wiring that goes to a rear planting units clutch literally has a tee in it to also feed the neighboring pusher unit. That means that they both cycle ON/OFF together. This is considered a section in the setup configuration. This would mean that if that section was to prevent planting the gap would be 30" which is likely undesirable.

All Ag Leader systems provide each clutch with 12V constant power at all times. The Clutch Control Module completes ground (not hot like we might expect) to activate a clutch to STOP planting. This involves reverse thinking of what we are used to. 1) ground is completed and 2) the circuit is completed to STOP not allow planting.

My thought would be to provide another source for ground to the single rows that you don't want to plant at times. This could be done by running the non hot wire from the tee harness to the front pusher clutch to the tractor through a switch and back. The switch would be a Double Pole Double Throw type. This is the type of switch that has 6 terminals. With the switch lying on its side the top center terminal connects to either the left or right top terminal. The bottom center terminal connects to either the left or right bottom terminal. This means the non hot wire going to the row can be connected to either its original connection or to ground.

If the switch is flipped one way, the system behaves as before. With the switch flipped the other way, the clutch would be receiving ground and cycle to STOP planting. This would have no effect on the rear clutch of the pair. The clutch presence alarm would not sound as the rear clutch is still connected as usual.

Of course, if an entire field was to be planted with those tram rows always not planting there would be other ways to prevent them from planting. This approach would give the operator the ability to block them off at will. The sprayer would need to be modified a bit to match up with the situation.

A problem with this approach could be a planter monitor. If the switch is flipped so that two tram rows do not plant, the planter monitor should alarm which might be quite irritating although that is the desired outcome at that time.

Edited by tedbear 8/7/2020 06:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)