AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jump Start Swich on Insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/4/2009 22:46 (#669057 - in reply to #669045)
Subject: RE: Jump Start Swich on Insight

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
agboy - 4/4/2009 21:37

Ted, does the rawson motor preform different with a serial cable then with a stepper module?

Last year myself and an other guy had the InSight serial controlling the Rawson processor and I never used the jump start and I don't think he did either.

Mine seemed to start almost right away last year.  What does everybody else do?  Do you use the switch in the field?  This year I will have mine ran with the stepper module rather than serial cable.  Although I still have the stupid Rawson processor with serial cable in the cab for my dry striptil box!!!!! AAAHHHH!!!  

With an Insight working with a Rawson via a serial cable, the Rawson is still running the show as far as planting goes. The Insight can send over new planting rates via the serial cable. This is just an automated way instead of you changing the Rawson knob. The Insight calculates the number of "bumps" above or below the base population. It doesn't really send over the actual population. That is why the base population on the Insight and the Rawson need to be set the same.

The Rawson box with or without the Insight around would have a Jump Switch to get the action going if it is necessary to stop mid field. I've never planted with a Rawson in any form but I advise our customers not to stop unless it is really necessary. If they wish to dig for seed. I advise them to plant to the end and then walk back aways to check for seed depth etc.

If you never needed to stop mid field, I would not see a reason for every using the Jump Switch. Another way around the Jump Switch idea would be to raise the planter up and back up aways before restarting. No matter how you do it, the population will not be perfect in this inital startup area. Too low or too high a population for a brief period is better than no seed at all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)