AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Many Questions: Apex/FarmWorks, Envisio Pro w/Accuboom, GSD 2600 w/ Swathcontrol
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

FARMinPA
Posted 4/3/2009 13:02 (#667564)
Subject: Many Questions: Apex/FarmWorks, Envisio Pro w/Accuboom, GSD 2600 w/ Swathcontrol

Western PA
Hi from a newbie to the site and precision farming. I'm in the process of integrating a Spray Coupe (4450 w/ 460 controller) with an Envisio Pro with Accuboom and a JD8760 & new JD1790 NT (12/23) planter with a GS2 -2600, Row Command shutoffs and Swath Control. I currently have not purchased desktop software, but have been trial using FarmWorks and plan to trial Apex.

We're farming about 3500 in Western PA -- the terrain is hilly and tree infested... RTK is out of the question (i think). Field size is small (8 acre average?). And therefore field management (desktop software and in-cab consoles) needs to be seemless (to save time).

I have a few questions (feel free to let me know these should be handled in a different way, ie one at a time in a separate thread):

1. Envisio Pro w/ Accuboom:
a. Seems that .zone files are created to define spray zones. Rather than our operator creating a new zone for each field and/or farm, I'd like to upload my shape files that I've created from FSA field data. However, these are shape files. Called Raven and they suggest that this can't be done... I know the ePro uses shape files for some things (like job files), does anyone know how to force the zone file to use the shape file?

b. If we don't create a 'no spray zone' for each of the thousands of waterways, what's the easiest approach to spaying over waterways? My thinking was that he would drive the center of them, turn off Accuboom, turn off his center section (8 ft), turn on sections 1,2,4,5 (26 ft on both sides of waterway). Turn Accuboom back on and spray, but he would have to hit his master switch to turn off the pump as he goes over the 26 ft approach to the waterway.

c. Do you know of a simple (power to console, none of the CAN connections) harness that is available to use to move the ePro from the sprayer to another vehicle where it would only be used for manual mapping (ie, gator, lime truck, manure truck). The "kit harness" is long, expensive and overkill...

2. Apex vs Farm Works vs any other
a. So far I've evaluated Farm Works. It seems okay, but I get really confused when trying to add applications to fields (ie, Spray and add a tank mixture, or plant corn) (I'm not trying to push this data to the ePro). I think I finally figured out how to export Client/Farm/Field info to the JD 2600, but I'm mixed up when it comes to the actual applications.... I haven't tried it yet, but have read some about APEX and it seems to handle these tasks pretty seamlessly. Anyone have strong feelings either way, or some tips and tricks for FarmWorks?

3. GS2600 vs old Display
a. Once I figure out the 2600 and the field doc side, I may want to implement more field documentation (with 1770 16-row planter, or 1990 Drill, or in conjunction with he ePro in the Spray Coupe). We have some old GreenStar displays around and I know I can add a processor and data card and be able to use some of the same features as the 2600. Any thoughts?

b. See 3.a. - but a big concern that I think I would have with the old display is that if I want to do any type of guidance, I can only do A to B lines, Circles, or Parallel curves. Ha ha. Come to western PA and show me where that would work... I need LAST PAST capability. Don't think I can do that with the old displays...

Okay, long enough for now. Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts. If you have similar 'lots of small fields' or other challenges, I'd love to hear about them!

Thanks,
Dan

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)