AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cleaning sprayer --2,4-d amine vs cotton ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

crf450man
Posted 7/13/2020 15:48 (#8371523 - in reply to #8371470)
Subject: RE: cleaning sprayer --2,4-d amine vs cotton ???

west texas
On my sprayer I flush all of the boom tubing and remove the filters to clean them. I have found that opening a valve on the bottom of the filters isn't sufficient and the filters need to be removed because the 2,4-d will bind to other sediment that remains in the filter. The other warning I have is to always spray out enough spray to clean your boom after letting sprayer sit for even 10 minutes or you will have a V pattern of deformed cotton. I have never had 2,4-d damage that lasted for the whole tank but have had plenty of those embarrassing V's because I didn't run 10 gallons(my boom) through the boom because I was impatient or forgot.
It's been about 15 years ago but I read about a study where they thoroughly cleaned a glass jar which had contained 2,4-d they then filled it with water and tested it and it was free of chemical. Then tested it a week later and it was contaminated. So moral of the story is it can hang around for quite sometime in your hoses. In fact I've had it come out after spraying 1500 or more acres without 2,4-d.
If you do basic boom cleaning and remember to flush each time before entering the field you will be fine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)