AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Fattires
Posted 7/13/2020 19:40 (#8371907 - in reply to #8368613)
Subject: RE: Need help

SW Ohio
Just saw your post. Good news is there are multiple options to help you and the dog. I am a companion animal veterinarian when I'm not farming and see this all the time.
The key is getting a prescription anti anxiety medication for the dog and if possible giving it before they get worked up. I tell my clients to look at the weather and if there is a chance of storms just go ahead and medicate. It is way easier to prevent the anxiety than to get it to stop once started.
I have good luck with a couple of different medications, typically I start with trazodone, it's cheap and well tolerated. Sometimes it takes the high end of the dosing range. Set up an appointment with your veterinarian and they should be able to get you something that will help tremendously.
Things like benedryl don't typically work. Also avoid acepromazine, a lot of the more old school doctors used it a lot, the thing about it is that it provides no anti anxiety, just makes them sedate enough they physically can't respond, even though they are still completely aware.
Edit to add desensitization is helpful, though it takes time, and don't even try in the summer when there are frequent storms.

Edited by Fattires 7/13/2020 19:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)