AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bluegill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 7/12/2020 07:06 (#8368494 - in reply to #8368312)
Subject: Pond Management ? for John

John, I have a pond initially stocked with hybrid bluegills, largemouth and channel cats. They were just tiny little things when I released them. The hatchery never said anything about putting in a bunch of forage like fatheads. The bluegills in particular have flourished, and catching some really nice ones, lots of bass too, but think they should be bigger than they are, been six years since stocking. Have only caught one cat since starting to fish it three years ago. Do you transfer the farheads over for forage, is it necessary even? Also wondered why hatchery didn’t recommend a few crappie? They are delicious also, and get twice as big or bigger than gills, so really fun action when get a big one on. I have a river behind my house we’re can literally fill a five gallon bucket quick with creek chubs, have thought about releasing several five gallon buckets of chubs to provide some extra forage. But don’t want to create a mess either. We need to start keeping some gills for table fare, one out of three we catch is a keeper. Can literally pluck them out one after the other with a cane pole, sightfishing.

Edited by Boone & Crockett 7/12/2020 07:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)