AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bluegill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/11/2020 12:55 (#8367147 - in reply to #8367121)
Subject: RE: Bluegill

Pittsburg, Kansas

Never heard of such a thing. That would be the way to do it though. Wife hates scaling things.

This years discovery was that canning them works and tastes good. What she does now is cut the "skirt" off the fillet that can have some small pin bones in it. She used to pick them out but would miss one once in a while. Now she just cuts that skirt off, puts it in the freezer till she gets a big enough batch to pressure can, then pressure cans it with the bones left in. The boneless "tenderloin" (if that is what it is called in a fish) we eat conventionally fried or baked.

She found a really good baked recipe. In the past the only way I would eat fish is fried. But this baked recipe has a really good white sauce that goes over it and is delicious.

The canned bluegill is like a very mild canned tuna. We eat it quite often as lunch. We take one tin of sardines, one tin of smoked Kipper Snacks (herring) and a half pint of the canned bluegill and mix it up into a fish salad with relish, mustard, sometimes mayo and some other spices. We like it that way really well.

I like panfish fishing. I'm not into trophy's, although she caught a 6# largemouth the other day so we have some decent size bass. Have a bunch of 2#+- smallmouth bass in another pond. I have a small forage pond full of fathead minnows and am growing out 500 fingerling hybrid striped bass right now.

Picture is of 3 of the now 4" hybrid striped bass and one fingerling redear sunfish out of 100 that I stocked in the tiny 1/20th acre forage pond.

John

Edited by John Burns 7/11/2020 12:57

(20200709_150005 (full).jpg)

(20200709_150105 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20200709_150005 (full).jpg (160KB - 104 downloads)
Attachments 20200709_150105 (full).jpg (89KB - 95 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)