AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle and pond water
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Lb94
Posted 7/9/2020 08:35 (#8362942 - in reply to #8362674)
Subject: RE: Cattle and pond water

West Central Illinois
Mud Dauber - 7/9/2020 05:46

Tenants told me last year that the cows were getting sick from dri drinking from a pond that had cedar trees around it and I should remove the trees which I did.

I am now readying to move pairs to that area and concerned about the water as the creeks are all dried up.

My question is, is there a toxin from trees around a pond? It is a p poor place for a pond as it doesn't get much surface water, a few yards one way would have made a huge difference.

I'm going to call the vet this morning and ask a out sending off samples but wanted to ask here also.

fyi this is ne MO. TIA.

In my pasture the only trees there are is cedars and hedge, my 1 water source which is a 1/2 acre pond is down in a low spot in the pasture and the hills are highly erodible and densely covered in cedars. Never had a problem and my grandpa that farmed the place 40 years before that had never had a problem either. Around here pastures and cedar trees are synonymous they make good shade around ponds for cows to hang out in the heat of the day and be close to water
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)