AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What kind of fish is this? TIA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/4/2020 08:53 (#8353075 - in reply to #8352951)
Subject: hybrid striped bass

Pittsburg, Kansas

Right now there are 500 of them in a 1/20th acre forage pond. I got them at 1.5" in length and caught one with a cast net yesterday at 18 days after stocking and it was 4.5". I have aeration in that pond and feed daily commercial fish food (high protein starter). I had stocked the pond with fathead minnows early this spring and they are thick in there and that will be the main food of the hybrid striped bass till they get big enough to eat the adults then the fatheads will be extirpated. Then they will be dependent on commercial fish food. As they grow and get big enough to escape predation in my other ponds I will remove some of them to stock my other ponds. Probably will start removing some of them at about 6" then more as they get bigger. Have several friends that will take some for their ponds.

First I have had of hybrid stripers but have friends that say they are a blast. Hit the lure like a hammer.

They are more of an open water fish than regular largemouth bass and are subject to death after a hard fight on the line, particularly in hot weather. They do not reproduce (sterile hybrids) so they are a put and take fish. Supposed to be really good eating also. I will find out!

First picture is 18 days after stocking. Second picture is the size they were when I picked them up at Keo fish farm in Arkansas.

John

Edited by John Burns 7/4/2020 09:12

(20200703_112822 (600 x 450) (full).jpg)

(20200615_161626 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20200703_112822 (600 x 450) (full).jpg (44KB - 15 downloads)
Attachments 20200615_161626 (full).jpg (52KB - 13 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)