Posted 6/26/2020 09:53 (#8337125 - in reply to #8336840) Subject: RE: Antennas that work with an Insight and other questions??
Don't call it a 'gator, it's a Ranger
I would agree that the cable part numbers would seem to indicate that an Ag Leader had been involved since they use that numbering scheme.
As far as the GPS goes, I'm a bit confused. The Insight and all other Ag Leader Yield Monitors do NOT contain any GPS equipment. The older models did not even need to have GPS available for basic yield monitoring. This just gave you instant yields and summaries but no maps. To get mapping on the older models and all newer models need GPS.
The GPS is external to the Ag Leader display such as the Insight you mention. A GPS system requires two basic parts 1) the antenna which is mounted outside the cab and 2) GPS receiver sometimes called the GPS engine. These can be two separate items with the antenna (sometimes called a dumb antenna) outside and the GPS receiver inside in a separate enclosure often inside the cab. Both of these items can be enclosed in the same enclosure which would be outside. These are sometimes referred to as a Smart Antenna.
The 252 that you have is a Smart Antenna. The enclosure includes both the antenna and GPS. I would try to use it since you have it. Trying to sell it and pick up something cheaper usually doesn't work out too well.
The first style where there are two individual items will use a CoAx cable from the antenna to the receiver. The other style will not need a CoAx cable since the antenna and GPS receiver are beside each other in the same enclosure.
You ask about repairing the CAN cables which were apparently just cut to remove some of the components. The CAN cables consists of four common wires which are Red, Black, Green and Yellow. They are generally twisted around each other somewhat to help reduce electrical noise and to keep them together. I have added on to cables of this type when they were too short by cutting the wires at slightly different places so the splices didn't line up and make a big wad. I soldered new wires using the same color code to each of the cut wires. I put the wires in a vise and stretched them out, keeping gentle pressure on them and put them in the chuck of a battery powered drill. I ran the drill slowly as I kept tension on the wires to twist them together. I then cut the new wires to length to mate up with the other cut off section. I put split loom over the entire "new" longer cable. They worked fine.
It wouldn't be too easy to simulate the elevator and ground speed. If the display lights up, I would think that there is a good chance that it can be used.