AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let's see 'em
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 6/24/2020 08:58 (#8333234)
Subject: Let's see 'em

SC Wisconsin
last fall the talk around town was who was getting any stalks made for bedding. I figured we should have a show and tell of what those stalks look like now if you've got any left. Ive got about 30 bales of beautiful stalks left that I've been using for pee wee calves and calving pens. I made 165 of those one day in October. Then it rained and rained and rained, finally a couple days before Thanksgiving we had a few days without rain so I chipped 80 acres on a Friday and started baling Sunday behind the rake. Made 350 4x6 bales by 3 am. The windows were anywhere from damp to soaked. I knew it was too wet, but they were calling for more rain and you never know when the next snow will be the snow that sticks around until March. Ive got about 90 pf these garbage bales left. In hind sight there was a window in December that lots of guys made nice bedding here, but we were done by then with everything ripped up. These bales were steaming well into January, and although they look horrible now, they actually pretty much cooked all the moisture right out of them so they make ok bedding. These bales get used primarily for bigger feeders and fat cattle; I will alternate some of the nicer bales in occasionally and ita kind of depressing to see how far a nice dry well made bale goes compared to these heated one made wet. Everyone always shares nice pics of how well stuff is going, i figured i would post an ugly picture of when things don't go as planned.

Edited by jcolli140 6/24/2020 08:58

(15930071857220 (full).jpg)

(15930072141171 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 15930071857220 (full).jpg (142KB - 115 downloads)
Attachments 15930072141171 (full).jpg (131KB - 79 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)