AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Importing and exporting A/B lines from one Insight to another?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/30/2009 06:40 (#661901 - in reply to #661773)
Subject: Re: Importing and exporting A/B lines from one Insight to another?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
My experience with this situation confirms what D.G. has indicated.

In my personal situation I have two Insights but only one is running an Autopilot. The other tractor with Autopilot is run via an EZ-Guide 500. Sometimes the second Insight is in that tractor but other times it is in my Deere 4720 sprayer and other equipment throughout the year.

What others have said about making a backup of one Insight and then doing a restore to another is correct. This can be done but has certain consequences.

Suppose your goal was to get the Growers and Field names from one Insight to another. Doing the backup and restore will accompish this but "walk over" the information in the second Insight. This is often undesirable as the Setup Configurations will also be "walked over". This may require reentering them in the cloned Insight. That might be more work than exporting and importing the AB lines on an indivdual basis.

One way that this can be somewhat accomplished is to think of one Insight as the Master. This Insight would need to contain all the configurations that might ever be used in the operation even if those operations will never be done with that Insight. It would need to contain all Growers/Fields, configurations and such.

This should to be done before any field work is done with the Master Insight for a given year. Then the backup and restore game will work with better results. If any field work is done with the Master Insight, then that information is transferred to the "clones". When the data is read into SMS, the data from the Master will be correct but the data (field acres etc.) may be duplicated from the clone(s). I have had that happen to me.

In my own situation, I'm not too concerned about duplicating a large number of AB lines.

One thing I have been trying to do is to save the property line rather than the actual AB line. This gives me a more permanent record and I make the new AB line from that property line for each operation. I have shared these "property lines" with my neighbor who has land that borders mine in several places.

Since he has an Insight controlling an autopilot also, he can use my property line for his first pass. This is done by the method described above of exporting to a card and then placing that card in the neighbors Insight and importing. I try to be very careful in naming these property lines so that they make sense to both my neighbor and I at a later date.

As others have said, the use of multiple Insights is not as smooth as would be desirable. Using multiple implements for the same operation also has some drawbacks.

Suppose an operation has two Insights, two planters, two sprayers and two combines. This situation has many quirks.

First of all while planting, each Insight only knows what it has done. Autoswath works fine for each unit but that unit does not know what the other has done. Suppose one planter gets go the field first and does the headlands. The second planter would not know this and autoswath would not work as desired.

The planting variety maps are fine but each only shows what that Insight has planted. At Harvest time, the onscreen reference map would only show the varieties that each Insight had planted and not the composite of the two.

Spraying with two rigs would also have the same problem with autoswath, again each sprayer knows what it has sprayed but not what the other has done.

I suspect in the future there will be real time contact between multiple units to address some of these issues. I believe the Rinex folks have something along this line at this time.

Edited by tedbear 4/1/2009 00:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)