AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 8300 step upgrade #1 (pics data warning)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 5/29/2020 11:15 (#8287307)
Subject: JD 8300 step upgrade #1 (pics data warning)

Well after yet another minor rain delay I thought I would tackle one of the things that has been bugging me about these steps. I had inquired in an earlier thread about adding some additional treads to make getting in and out after my ACL repair. I bought the extension side brackets and another step from JD and while that helped with the lower first step the spacing was off in that they were not equally spaced. That is an inconvenience that tends to throw your stride off getting in and out. It would be like having a set of stairs with random riser heights.

The brackets seem poorly thought out with multiple hole settings but none seem to all line up to give a truly accurate consistent height. There was still a large step from the last tread to the platform.

I decided to add an additional top step and try to get the others evenly spaced. I greatly dislike butchering stuff up and drilling a bunch of holes at random (personal preference) So I always try to utilize existing holes to make additional brackets for my  add  on modifications. That takes additional time and a lot of measuring but I think the end result turns out better and ends up being exactly how I want it.

The original setup looked like this. The first step was too tall with an okay distance to the second step then a large jump to the platform.

Next JD decided to cheapen up the step construction from a welded design to a stamped design. I wanted them all to be the same tread to avoid any uncertainties. My orthopedic Dr. repeatedly warned me to be extremely careful during this recovery time and avoid stumbling, stepping in holes etc.

So after getting the new style treads I tried configuring them and ended up with this.

Using the available holes every step had a different height and still left a big step to the platform outside the door. The 3rd and 4th steps were too close together.

I was inspired by Kens MX200 steps in my original posting about this.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=912750&posts=1#M8117465

This is how they should be done. Short riser heights evenly spaced and a nice sloping angle upward with each step being the same height.  

After a bunch of measuring and experimenting with existing holes I figured I could mostly get the 3 bottom steps evenly spaced within about 3/8" or so and that I could make a couple extensions for the 4th step to make that step up to the platform about the same. 

I made a couple 1/4" brackets that utilized existing holes.

Here are the part number tags if anyone is interested for the step treads and the 2 factory lower side rails.

Since my brackets mounted outside the factory rails I had to use washers to make up the width difference between the step and my extensions.

Also had to take in to account the handrail shapes and my fire extinguisher mounting.

The left side handrail presented an issue as it was going to hit my extension bracket.

I got around this by installing some spacers where the rail wraps around the backside and is bolted down.

The right side rail did not need any adjustment other than adding a few washers to account for the bracket thickness change.

Here is the end result, for the most part, pretty evenly spaced with some very minor variation. The step from the upper platform into the cab is still taller but there is no way to change that.

The only drawback is that my added top step is more of a vertical step instead of continuing the angled and up of the lower steps.

I swapped the stamped step on the window cleaning platform for one of the treads and used the original style there instead.

Also my extended top step and spaced out handrail did not interfere with the light placed in this area.

It's actually quite disappointing that JD seems to place such low priority on making adequate steps that are wide, evenly spaced and comfortable to use. They charge a fortune for new tractors and combines but still seem stuck in the past with their poorly designed step systems that seem more like an afterthought. Why should a machine costing 100k or 200k or more need modifications to make nice wide slip resistant evenly spaced steps up to the cab ? Maybe take just one engineer that is figuring out how to add thousands of dollars of costs in electronic gizmos and plastic crap and make a decent set of solid steps for under $500. 

I hope the info is helpful to others looking for a similar solution.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)