AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 8300 step upgrade #1 (pics data warning)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 5/29/2020 11:15 (#8287307)
Subject: JD 8300 step upgrade #1 (pics data warning)

Well after yet another minor rain delay I thought I would tackle one of the things that has been bugging me about these steps. I had inquired in an earlier thread about adding some additional treads to make getting in and out after my ACL repair. I bought the extension side brackets and another step from JD and while that helped with the lower first step the spacing was off in that they were not equally spaced. That is an inconvenience that tends to throw your stride off getting in and out. It would be like having a set of stairs with random riser heights.

The brackets seem poorly thought out with multiple hole settings but none seem to all line up to give a truly accurate consistent height. There was still a large step from the last tread to the platform.

I decided to add an additional top step and try to get the others evenly spaced. I greatly dislike butchering stuff up and drilling a bunch of holes at random (personal preference) So I always try to utilize existing holes to make additional brackets for my  add  on modifications. That takes additional time and a lot of measuring but I think the end result turns out better and ends up being exactly how I want it.

The original setup looked like this. The first step was too tall with an okay distance to the second step then a large jump to the platform.

Next JD decided to cheapen up the step construction from a welded design to a stamped design. I wanted them all to be the same tread to avoid any uncertainties. My orthopedic Dr. repeatedly warned me to be extremely careful during this recovery time and avoid stumbling, stepping in holes etc.

So after getting the new style treads I tried configuring them and ended up with this.

Using the available holes every step had a different height and still left a big step to the platform outside the door. The 3rd and 4th steps were too close together.

I was inspired by Kens MX200 steps in my original posting about this.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=912750&posts=1#M8117465

This is how they should be done. Short riser heights evenly spaced and a nice sloping angle upward with each step being the same height.  

After a bunch of measuring and experimenting with existing holes I figured I could mostly get the 3 bottom steps evenly spaced within about 3/8" or so and that I could make a couple extensions for the 4th step to make that step up to the platform about the same. 

I made a couple 1/4" brackets that utilized existing holes.

Here are the part number tags if anyone is interested for the step treads and the 2 factory lower side rails.

Since my brackets mounted outside the factory rails I had to use washers to make up the width difference between the step and my extensions.

Also had to take in to account the handrail shapes and my fire extinguisher mounting.

The left side handrail presented an issue as it was going to hit my extension bracket.

I got around this by installing some spacers where the rail wraps around the backside and is bolted down.

The right side rail did not need any adjustment other than adding a few washers to account for the bracket thickness change.

Here is the end result, for the most part, pretty evenly spaced with some very minor variation. The step from the upper platform into the cab is still taller but there is no way to change that.

The only drawback is that my added top step is more of a vertical step instead of continuing the angled and up of the lower steps.

I swapped the stamped step on the window cleaning platform for one of the treads and used the original style there instead.

Also my extended top step and spaced out handrail did not interfere with the light placed in this area.

It's actually quite disappointing that JD seems to place such low priority on making adequate steps that are wide, evenly spaced and comfortable to use. They charge a fortune for new tractors and combines but still seem stuck in the past with their poorly designed step systems that seem more like an afterthought. Why should a machine costing 100k or 200k or more need modifications to make nice wide slip resistant evenly spaced steps up to the cab ? Maybe take just one engineer that is figuring out how to add thousands of dollars of costs in electronic gizmos and plastic crap and make a decent set of solid steps for under $500. 

I hope the info is helpful to others looking for a similar solution.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jay NE Ohio
Posted 5/29/2020 11:33 (#8287325 - in reply to #8287307)
Subject: RE: JD 8300 step upgrade #1 (pics data warning)

northeastern Ohio
Nice work as always Von!

JD used those cheaper stamped steps on our 6300 as well as our 7410's. I have welded up the ones on the 6300 and at least one of the 7410's. They are flimsy and the flexing leads to eventual cracking. I was hoping to swap them out someday for the heavier welded design. I am disappointed that they are no longer available.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 5/29/2020 11:46 (#8287343 - in reply to #8287325)

The older part # subs to the newer stamped ones.

Shoup's fuel and utlity steps are  still a welded style but the mounting holes may be different.

https://www.shoupparts.com/SS270-Utility-Step

https://www.shoupparts.com/SS250-Utility-Step

Pretty pricey don't know if you can buy just the tread.

Maybe the CNH guys can jump in here with the steps that was on the MX that I linked and is also used on the CIH Patriot sprayers swing up ladders. They look like a heavier serrated step but not sure if they are aluminum or cast material.

frytownfarmer
Posted 5/29/2020 12:19 (#8287396 - in reply to #8287307)

Frytown, Iowa
Von you could always go with this? Just kidding around

Anyways those steps look nice and hope they help

(2A9BF3B5-73B3-4FFF-909E-B75AF8DA9C76 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2A9BF3B5-73B3-4FFF-909E-B75AF8DA9C76 (full).jpeg (38KB - 24 downloads)
MiradaAcres
Posted 5/29/2020 12:23 (#8287406 - in reply to #8287307)

scmn
FWIW all of the big 3 use that stamped step on some of their machines.
Sundance
Posted 5/29/2020 12:24 (#8287407 - in reply to #8287307)

West Central Minnesota
That's one nice thing about two track machines of either color -- A nice staircase and platform.

Perhaps there's one in your future?

Edited by Sundance 5/29/2020 12:24
dvswia
Posted 5/29/2020 13:07 (#8287477 - in reply to #8287307)

sw corner ia.
great job, Von..

I didn't know about your surgery.. hope it heals up well and soon.
Von WC Ohio
Posted 5/29/2020 13:32 (#8287520 - in reply to #8287477)

Previous posts about it.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=911548

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=911549

It's been awhile now but orthopedic Dr. said 9 months to get back to where I was. He was not kidding and he has done a bunch of these in his career.

Detroit
Posted 5/29/2020 15:39 (#8287656 - in reply to #8287520)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
Von WC Ohio - 5/29/2020 12:32

Previous posts about it.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=911548

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=911549

It's been awhile now but orthopedic Dr. said 9 months to get back to where I was. He was not kidding and he has done a bunch of these in his career.

We have the rubber brackets on all our tractors for the bottom step. Same step as yours though. When we get stuck it’s usually folded up under the fuel tank by mud. I’d say yours looks great but if you ever get close to making some ruts it’ll be bent quick.
KDD
Posted 5/29/2020 16:21 (#8287712 - in reply to #8287656)

Leesburg, Ohio
*****Von does not make ruts.*****

;-)
Von WC Ohio
Posted 5/29/2020 16:37 (#8287731 - in reply to #8287712)

Well I try not too

I also bought the European rubber bottom step mounts from a later tractor but did not care for the less rigid step and the positioning of that bottom tread.

I may not always need this lowest step but the others are still an improvement from what was there before.

Appreciate the heads up on bending potential so will have to be aware when working tile lines down or muddy conditions which I really try to avoid at all costs.

MaineFarmer
Posted 5/29/2020 16:39 (#8287734 - in reply to #8287712)

coast of Maine
Nice job,agree on lack of quality steps,would be a good up grade to offer by them and not hard to make
Detroit
Posted 5/29/2020 18:49 (#8287942 - in reply to #8287731)

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
Von WC Ohio - 5/29/2020 15:37

Well I try not too

I also bought the European rubber bottom step mounts from a later tractor but did not care for the less rigid step and the positioning of that bottom tread.

I may not always need this lowest step but the others are still an improvement from what was there before.

Appreciate the heads up on bending potential so will have to be aware when working tile lines down or muddy conditions which I really try to avoid at all costs.

I'd have probably 1500 acres left this year to work if I hadn't played in the mud for the last few weeks. Some old rice ground that was stubble rolled and had water held on it all winter was the worst by far. Ended up with a 16' 3-point chisel plow being the only thing that would work it without getting buried. Got a 9330 and a Kelly stuck so bad we had to unhook it and pull tractor out with a dozer then pull the Kelly out sideways with the dozer.. At one point about 3 weeks ago I had that 9330 stuck and also a 8310R with an air seeder stuck at the same time about 1000 feet apart. Had a Deere mechanic come out to do some work on the 9330 and he got his service truck stuck also. Dozer was the only thing that would go and we almost got it stuck at one point.

I wish I didn't have to deal with mud but it is what it is.
IL Deere Driver
Posted 5/29/2020 20:34 (#8288152 - in reply to #8287307)

Central IL
Looks good. It is aggravating to have to rebuild everything you buy.
Cadillacfarm
Posted 5/29/2020 21:13 (#8288257 - in reply to #8288152)

North Central Missouri
Yep I’m tired of fixing what should have been done right to begin with.
Luthmanfarms
Posted 5/30/2020 11:25 (#8289271 - in reply to #8287307)

Are you all done I seen you sewing beans as I went down 185
Von WC Ohio
Posted 5/31/2020 22:05 (#8291921 - in reply to #8289271)

Not yet

braidy
Posted 6/1/2020 09:14 (#8292446 - in reply to #8291921)

NW Minnesota

Looks good as always. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)