AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can one put phone over Ethernet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

r82230
Posted 4/24/2020 12:28 (#8213549 - in reply to #8212153)
Subject: RE: can one put phone over Ethernet?

Thumb of Michigan
In my office I have several phones, they are all voice over internet (VoIP). The service is NOT via my internet provider. Each phone has it's own MAC address, so I can take it where ever I want and plug into a port (on the back of anyone's hub, modem that has internet). That phone will work, ringing (if some calls me). As an example: I have one phone that is in another office that is almost 50 miles away. The phone rings if a call comes in, I can call another extension if I desire (calling another extension is the feature that would work for you IMHO).

I purchased my phones (Cisco SPA54G), some service providers will give you free phones. They are usually limited on number of extensions (my phones are limited to 4 extensions). Even though my phones are limited to 4 extensions, I have 7 phones total, 3 of them are 'on the same extension'. Which means both phones ring if you call that extension (which works because I have them in different rooms).

There is several service providers that have good ratings:

Ring Central
Nextiva (I have)
Vontage
8x8

BTW, as of right now, my business partner took her extension home and is working from home, by just plugging the phone into her home internet.

I'd say what you are trying to accomplish could be done, you might need to be creative.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)