AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gas tractor problem. 4500 ford
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RickB
Posted 4/9/2020 17:48 (#8176644 - in reply to #8176258)
Subject: RE: Gas tractor problem

Lincoln County. NC
xralan - 4/9/2020 14:52

I think it should also have a resistor on the hot wire going to the coil. If someone has bypassed the resistor, it will make the coil run hotter, possibly contributing to your problem. They usually run direct battery power to the coil during cranking, then run on lower voltage while running. If you have full voltage at coil when running, this may be your problem. I think it should be around 8 volts when running.

And the OEM resistance wire imbedded in the harness could be failing open. You can run a new temporary wire from the key to the coil and add a cheap ballast resistor in-line to see if the primary ignition circuit is giving up. Alternatively check for power at the I terminal of the coil just after the tractor quits.

Edit: on the fuel side of the equation there is a screen on the fuel tap at the tank outlet, a screen in the fuel pump at the left top corner of the timing cover, the sediment bulb filter and a screen at the carb inlet fitting. The fuel pump may not be working, Holley carbs like a couple psi of fuel pressure.

Edited by RickB 4/9/2020 17:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)