AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter build started. Strip cropping and research 2020
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DobsonAG
Posted 3/28/2020 07:07 (#8145052 - in reply to #8144994)
Subject: RE: Planter build starter. Strip cropping and research 2020

Donnellson, IA. Makes saying here easier.
4 row in the research I have done is really where light utilization runs peak, but 6 still does well. So I figure that would be the most chance of corn rows on the farm at higher interception.I probably should have gone 8 for header availability. Especially as they don't make small combines anymore. But I'm handy, as is my cousin in the shop so we can make a small bean head go on any combine lol. And I've yet to complain about too much horsepower in beans. The other is lower horsepower demand on my manure tank/incorporators. That's another build and chapter for the fall/winter. Last year I did some mods on a custom rig for the strips that I'd like to further evolve into my own. Soybeans will be planted as you said. Lower along edge higher in the middle. Also will be narrowed up to give another 6ish inches on each side for extra light and to close rows better. That's why I went with the T-bar design. As long as I feel like making configurations I can run whatever makes sense for spacing. The corn will be planted with 1 and 6, 2 and 5, and 3 and 4 as the 3 sections. Each section has its own prescription attributes and will VRT like I would if just planting the field solid. Lots to learn and I will try several things to change up variables. Like maturity, all one and mixing hybrids by height or maturity in the different rows. To either capture more light for 3 and 4 or to allow a longer season in the outside and shorter in the internal rows. Also extends the pollen window. I'm sure it's a project with no end. And that's the best part. Thank you and I'll post throughout the process.

Edited by DobsonAG 3/28/2020 07:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)