AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling a Tractor Privately
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

osuoiler
Posted 3/26/2020 15:56 (#8140820)
Subject: Selling a Tractor Privately

Hey all, I was looking for some advice about selling stuff privately. I've got a little utility tractor that I'm wanting to sell (don't really need it and the economy tanking is telling to get it moved and have some more money in my pocket), and I think I'm going to start by listing it for sale on Facebook, and then if that doesn't pan out, throw it in a local consignment auction in a few weeks with a reserve in place and see if it moves there. There are a couple of local farm groups for Oklahoma that I can list it in, and then there is Hay Kings Classifieds, which seems to have a healthy audience. This would be my first go at listing a machine for sale privately, so I'm just looking for some advice and pointers in doing it. I think my biggest two concerns would be meeting folks wanting to look at it, and then ensuring that the payment goes through without issue. On the payment piece, I've heard that some folks request cashier's checks only, and I think I've heard that it's okay to take a personal check, but to wait for the check to clear before releasing the item being sold. My other concern would simply be dealing with the people looking at it. All I mean by this really is that I'd be letting unfamiliar people onto my property (which I am very protective and private about), and I can imagine that there'd be at least one buffoon who wouldn't know how to drive it and damage the transmission. I'd be tempted to tell folks that I'd want a check before they could hop on the seat, or maybe I can just offer to drive it and show them that everything works.

I don't know, what are folks thoughts? I've done private deals with strangers before on hay, and usually I have pretty good luck on those, but hay deals are also peanuts for the transaction value compared to a tractor. I'd kinda like to sell it privately just because I'm not paying a consignment and can pocket everything, but at the same time, I don't want it to give me a headache when I have limited time and resources to be dealing with potential buyers.

Thanks all!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)