AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AMS or elemental sulfur to drop PH.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 3/11/2020 09:55 (#8095916 - in reply to #8095726)
Subject: RE: AMS or elemental sulfur to drop PH.

Bourbon,Indiana

NEILFarmer - 3/11/2020 09:22 I will ask about gypsum again. I’m not super familiar but how many ton would a guy apply on high PH tight soil to help it breath and lower PH. Trucking alone from Peoria would run 20ish dollars a ton.

I don't have any personal experience with gypsum, but  try talking with Warren Dick[email protected] ) from OSU would be the expert. I ate breakfast with him  few years ago, and no one knows more about gypsum than this guy. After talking with me for about an hour, he wouldn't even let me buy his breakfast.

What are your Mg levels? Mg has a 1.5-to-1 pH multiplier to Ca. So, removing the Mg can actually lower your pH. I'm not sure how gypsum would handle that in a high pH soil, but adding high cal lime to a high Mg, high pH soil can actually lower the pH by flushing the Mg down and replacing with Ca.

Another good one to speak to is Joe Nester. He's got a lot of experience with gypsum too and posts here. He has answered many of my questions over the years via e-mail.

ETA: how saturated is this soil? I have seen where poorly drained soils have higher P levels. The field I have the highest P levels on was very poorly drained.

Edited by rebuilder 3/11/2020 10:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)