AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I miss Shakey's Pizza
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chris
Posted 3/2/2020 09:31 (#8077209)
Subject: I miss Shakey's Pizza

East central Iowa

Living in the Midwest there is no longer a Shakey's anywhere.  There used to be one in Cedar Rapids and one in Davenport (Iowa towns).  They had the best pizza I've ever eaten.
The crust was thicker than what was prevalent at the time (1970's) and the topping was sure a lot thicker.  I would get a large with sausage and mushrooms and it would be a layer about ½ thick with meat and mushrooms.  All a golden brown and not so greasy as many today.

Now everything is either cardboard or bread dough crusts and little pieces of mushroom and tiny bits of sausage covered with cheese and tomato sauce.  I've had Godfathers, Pizza Hut, Happy Joe's, Domino's, Papa John's, Harris Pizza, Pizza Ranch, Casey's, and a number of pizza's from Italian restaurants purported to be great.  Pizza on a cruise and pizza from a wood fired oven, pizza from an innumerable number of places that specialize in pizza, according to them.

Thinking back, the only pizza that I really enjoyed a lot was one I had in California in San Jose.  I don't remember the name of the place because I wasn't excited about going after the last time they took me to a special pizza place in Chicago, it wasn't.  

I guess I'll just have to keep on trying places and in between time eating steak at Texas Roadhouse or a place in Clinton, IA that has the biggest tenderloin I've ever eaten.  Thick, juicy and huge.

(tenerloin (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tenerloin (full).jpg (109KB - 177 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)