AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Longivity and eating one meal a day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/2/2020 05:27 (#8076711 - in reply to #8076521)
Subject: RE: Longivity and eating one meal a day

Pittsburg, Kansas
From what I have learned what you describe the doctors call "metabolic flexibility". You have well adapted mitochondria that burn either glucose or fat equally well. By closing down your feeding window and using up the amount of glucose and glycogen stores from eating, insulin levels drop low and the body reaches into its fat stores to supply the remaining energy needed till you refeed. By doing this regularly the body is accustomed to doing it and has no problem doing it. Flexibility in the fuel it burns for energy.

Contrast that to someone who eats or drinks something nutritave many times a day. Insulin stays high so fat metabolism is never engaged. Do this long enough and the body kind of "forgets" how to do it effectively (why it takes some time to retrain the body to be "fat adapted"). It will still do it in an emergency, but only after blood glucose drops so low a person feels like crap. Keep eating that way long enough and eventually, because of the continual high levels of insulin, the body becomes resistant to a person's own insulin. Then they have insulin resistance and fat burning is even more inhibited because insulin almost never goes low enough to burn body fat. Given ten or twenty years of this "too much/too often" feeding and it leads to metabolic syndrome.

Even eating a diet that is not great, by restricting the feeding window, it forces the body to switch metabolic gears regularly, keeping the machinery working like it was designed to do. Eating/drinking carby stuff ten times a day keeps it in one gear only and the shifter eventually gets stuck in that gear, leading to problems.

At least that is my current understanding and the way my minds eye sees it.

John

Edited by John Burns 3/2/2020 05:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)