AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blue ridge Parkway
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 2/25/2020 18:00 (#8065253 - in reply to #8063170)
Subject: RE: Blue ridge Parkway

I can't help with the azaleas, but I will say that it is a beautiful drive. I quit my job with Lockheed in the SF Bay Area and left in an old 62 Ford pickup with a shell on the back. I had my motorcycle on one side and a plywood bed right beside it. Didn't know where I was going. I went through in early spring, and stopped to visit a friend from college who was teaching at a junior college way back in the hills of Kentucky. Fascinating place. He told of one student who, when asked about what he did for the summer, said that he guarded his grandfather's still. My friend asked what he would have done if he had seen a stranger approach. He answered - I would have shot him. Any stranger could only have been a revenuer, and would have had no good business being there. My friend also told me about an article in the local paper that said a man had been found in his neighbor's bed - shot six times through the head. The county coroner ruled it suicide. When you think about it, I guess it was. It was a different place. But, being with my classmate, it was one of the most friendly places I've ever been.

I also remember stopping up at Cape Hatteras. I camped there, and when I went into a small local restaurant and ordered fried oysters, they brought me a very big plate of them. I complemented them, as they were the best I've ever eaten. When I went back a day later, the plate they brought couldn't have held another one - from what I remember. I really struggled to get them all down.

Not a lot of help, I know - a long time ago. But, FWIW, those were a couple of experiences I had. I hope you have a good trip too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)