AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean oil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 2/6/2020 13:17 (#8024810)
Subject: Soybean oil

I wanted to add this to the posts just put up, as the result shown are very impressive, but I thought I'd put this in a new thread.

My wife forwarded an email concerning soyoil. If this has been covered in the past, please excuse me. The paper abstract is here:

https://tinyurl.com/twlw3px

The takeaway in the email was generally that soyoil was bad and coconut oil was much better. Some quotes:

"Well, a new study published in the journal Endocrinology makes this clear.

The authors found that soybean oil, which is the most widely consumed edible oil in the United States (comprising about 7 percent of the calories the average American eats!), not only contributes to obesity and diabetes, but may also increase the risk of neurological conditions like autism, Alzheimer’s disease, anxiety, and depression.

How does this happen?

The researchers discovered that soybean oil has pronounced effects on the hypothalamus, a small region of the brain that regulates weight, body temperature, and metabolism (among other things).

They also found that soybean oil consumption changed the expression of over 100 genes involved in everything from energy metabolism to proper brain function.

Interestingly, coconut oil produced very few changes in the hypothalamic genes that soybean oil altered. This finding contradicts conventional wisdom that polyunsaturated fats (like soybean oil) are healthier than saturated fats (like coconut oil).

Caveat: this research was performed in mice, so we can’t be certain that these findings would also apply to humans.

That said, the mechanisms are likely similar, and in my mind, these data are certainly enough to warrant a large reduction in soybean oil consumption."
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)