AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I need a new router, which one???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

golfnut
Posted 1/29/2020 21:33 (#8009445 - in reply to #8008305)
Subject: RE: I need a new router, which one???

Central Nebraska

If this is what Golfnut is talking about, I would chose this one just for the price, it's half the cost, unless it doesn't have access to the settings, like a normal router for port forwarding, vlan, static routes, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/AmpliFi-Ubiquiti-Seamless-Wireless-Extenders/dp/B01L9O07FS?th=1

ETA... you need to ask Golfnut, about the web ui, What I'm reading is most of ui setup is done through the phone app. That would be a con for me, just my preference of being old school.

That is the one that I'm referring to.  The few I've installed also came with a single MeshPoint for increased coveraged.

I've used the web app on the few I've setup and it was a very simple process.  There is also a web interface you can use but they don't really promote it.  It can do port forwarding and has a built in VPN for remote access.  If I wasn't using their commercial Unifi product line I'd use this in a heartbeat.

One thing that people often don't understand is the purpose and place of the access point in the network. Historically, in the consumer world, the router and access point were one in the same.  People complain about their router but essentially its the access point portion of the unit that is giving them problems.  Every access point can handle a limited number of clients before performance starts to decrease.  This number is WAY less than whatever the manufacturer advertises.  This is PART of the reason newer systems utilize multiple APs.  Another reason is the faster data standards use shorter wavelength frequencies that do not penetrate walls as well.  On the router side, up until recently there was not an internet connection available that had more speed than the average router BUT there were access points that couldn't handle the number of devices in a home.  Even today, if you only had a wired network, any respectable router from the past 7-8 years would still be able to handle a 100mb/s internet connection.

Also, there are regulations on how powerful APs can be.  Don't let some fancy advertising fool you into thinking that a new router will solve all your WIFI coverage problems in a three level home with 1,800 sq feet on the main floor.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)