AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm Spreadsheets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tigger
Posted 12/17/2019 07:36 (#7912645 - in reply to #7911956)
Subject: RE: Farm Spreadsheets

Iowa
I use a spreadsheet workbook that ties everything together that I need. It does not do everything Quickbooks does, but it does a lot of things Quickbooks does not do.

You could start by making a simple spreadsheet for double entry accounting to track all cash income and expense. I've not seen any good ones available to download on the net, but it can be done. You could then plug your cash numbers and inventories into something like these spreadsheets from ISU for financial analysis: https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/html/c3-55.html

If you are not having much luck getting a good spreadsheet going for the basic accounting, you could probably set up a chart of accounts on a cheap, bare bones accounting program to handle the cash accounting part of it. It's not so much about the software as it is about how you use it. You might want to get a farm banker or a good CPA to help you set up the chart of accounts and a good filing system.

Edit to add: I just saw teabear's post and would agree about continuing to work with spreadsheets in general. The more you work with them, the faster and better you get at doing it. Spreadsheets can do a lot more than most people realize. You have a good understanding of what the numbers mean when you build your own. It's a good skill to have in farming and life in general.

Edited by tigger 12/17/2019 07:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)