AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

need a new computer, considering MAC
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 3/9/2009 23:12 (#638098 - in reply to #637756)
Subject: Re: need a new computer, considering MAC

As others have stated, you will need to run virus protection if you run Windows on a Mac. You can run Windows in one of two ways - you can set it up as a dual boot (software is included with Mac OS to do this) or run Win in a virtual machine with Parallels or Fusion (cost, about $70). Either way, if you have Win running and connected to the net, you will need virus protection. HOWEVER, if you use a virtual machine, I believe you can set it up with no network connection - in other words, not able to connect to the net, in which case you would be safe without protection. I suppose it depends on your Win applications whether they need internet connectivity or not.

As for the Mac OS needing virus protection, no. Apple recommends it, mostly to cover their own butts, but a survey of Mac users was done recently and 90%+ do not run virus protection. That may change in time though.

If you do decide to buy a Mac, the Mac Mini would be the one you would want to get to use your current monitor. It is a unit that uses your current keyboard, mouse, and monitor - all you get is the CPU. Your only other option in the Mac line would be a Mac Pro - and they are VERY expensive, but VERY powerful machines, geared more toward users who need a LOT of horsepower under the hood. From what you describe, the Mini would be the perfect thing.

If you are a bit apprehensive about the switch (as I was), but a used Mini on ebay. You can pick up 1-2 yr old models for around $400. If you don't like it or just can't get along with it, relist it and sell it. Chances are you could get your money back as Macs hold their value well. Just be sure to get an Intel version as the early Mini's used the old processors - the Intel versions are the only runs that will run Windows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)