AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question for S E Washington
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Glenn W.
Posted 10/27/2006 02:03 (#55610 - in reply to #55221)
Subject: Re: question for S E Washington

Southeast Washington
It can be dangerous but there have been few accidents. Maybe the hills look intimidating but ground that lays bad has been taken out over the years to take out turns or impossible climbs. Being alert and aware and having faith is what it takes to cover the ground. We are happy with how our combines perform for level land machines on the hills. Dividers have been added in the processor as well as on the shoe to keep grain from loading up completely to the lower side. The Gleaner have distribution augers and accelerator rolls which help get the grain on the shoe before gravity takes it all down hill. The other combines require leveling to keep combine capacity up. We do have grain carts but in the past have only used them when we couldn't get to the trucks directly with the combine.

I feel the safest in the Gleaner over the combines with the leveling systems. In our area the dual tractor lug tires are a big improvement over the single diamond tread tires to bite into the stubble and not slide down the hill. I have tried the new John Deere with leveling and dual diamond tread tires but it slid where the tractor lugs bit in and didn't slide.

I'll attempt to attach a picture of one of our Gleaners harvesting deeper in the canyon from where the picture was taken of the seeding operation. Also I'll try a picture of a neighbor's 3 1470's and a challenger and cart on a hill across from me.

(Harvest 06-6.JPG)

(Harvest 06-Thomas 5.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Harvest 06-6.JPG (78KB - 77 downloads)
Attachments Harvest 06-Thomas 5.JPG (48KB - 80 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)