AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cant open site on laptop?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

rodrod5
Posted 2/25/2009 07:31 (#622008 - in reply to #621722)
Subject: Re: cant open site on laptop?

Lubbock, Texas
a proxy is a website that site in between your PC and the website you want to look at......it is really useful for kids that want to sit in school and browse websites that are blocked from the school for them to look at at school

so basically when you go to a proxy site you request the website through the proxy and then the proxy actually makes the request from the webpage server and then receives the webpage and then passes the webpage back to your PC....a proxy is also useful if your IP address is banned by a website because when you go to the website it looks like it is not you and your computer IP address going to that site....it is the proxy sites web address

the reason I ask if you can browse through a proxy is because that will answer the question of if something on your PC is blocking you from seeing the website or if something with your browser is preventing the website from actually being displayed on your PC

in other words if you are able to browse to this site through a proxy that tells me that there is something on your PC like a firewall or antispyware blocking your browser from getting to this website because when you browse through a proxy your firewall and antispyware only think you are browsing the proxy site and not this actual website....if you are not able to browse to this site through a proxy and you still get a blank page that tells me there is something wrong with your browsers that is preventing this site from being displayed on them

just to be clear NEVER browse to a site like a banking or financial site through a proxy....but for a test like this it is harmless

since you are having the issue with both internet explorer and firefox I would try the DNS flush

I would also try this

for Interner explorer
In the browser, go to "Tools', 'Internet Options', "Connection", "LAN Settings" and uncheck all the boxes.

For Firefox:
In the browser, go to "Tools", "Options", "Advanced", "Network", "Settings" and check the "Direct connection to the Internet" button (leave all other buttons unchecked).

if you CAN browse to this site and view it through a proxy that would tell me that either your firewall or antivirus are blocking this site.....if you go through a proxy and it is still a blank page that tells me something is corrupted on your PC like possibly your javascript

as to why this happened...I can't say other than "computers suck and do stupid things"......basically when you switched the configuration of your computer connectiong to the web something was corrupted or something has some bad info in it....it is a hard thing to narrow down

you have one of two issues.....something on your PC preventing a page that you can access from actually being displayed....or something preventing you from accessing this page all together

if you don't like obama proxy then there is www.hidemyass.com it words the same way

if the above fix in each browser does not work my next steps would be to uninstall java and reinstall it....if that does not work I would uninstall the firewall and antivirus and try to access the site (since you are going through a router and you will only be doing this briefly there is no real danger of picking up a virus, spyware, or any other malicious thing)....if that does not work I would check the host file in vista to see if it has blocked this site (I can tell you how to do that later)

try the browsing through obama proxy or hidemyass and that will really narrow the issue down and also try the above solution of checking the LAN/Network settings of each browser
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)