AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OK...how about soybeans for cover crop in NE IL
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jumpinfarmer
Posted 6/16/2019 12:36 (#7562314 - in reply to #7562244)
Subject: RE: OK...how about soybeans for cover crop in NE IL

western NY
I've done it several times here in NY and really liked it. First time was after peas and some ground that was PP edible beans. I think we spread them around the 1st of August and they got about 2' high before I mowed them down and notilled wheat into them. Wheat made over 100bu next year with about 2/3 the rate of N I would normally put on. Did the same thing a couple years after that but never got them mowed down and had to disk them to plant wheat. Wheat that next year was also very good, maybe better then the first time. Last year spread some after wheat harvest with the idea of notilling corn this year, would have worked out well but the weather didn't cooperate.

I was able to get seed cheep from a local seed company, to make sure I wasn't going to try and save it for next year they dumped it into my truck bulk from pro boxes and had it all mixed together treated, untreated, conventional, rr ready, and all sorts of maturities.

The only two reasons I see for this not being a common thing are both buricratic first is insurance, I don't think they want a cover that could also be a crop. The other is the big seed companies seem to be against just giving or even selling very cheep, the seed they were trying to sell a few weeks ago for retail price even though it costs them tens of thousands of dollars to destroy. A big waste of resorses in my opinion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)