AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DMW Construction Asphalt Millings.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

150pilot
Posted 6/15/2019 12:47 (#7560580 - in reply to #7560314)
Subject: RE: DMW Construction Asphalt Millings.

New London, Wisconsin
As a town chairman I get to deal with more road issues than I even care to. This is one of those. We have used them several times for several uses and first I should clarify the quality can vary a lot, even from load to load from the same source.

I agree that used correctly they can make a great base, and are pretty good for parking areas or low traffic areas. Price is the greatest way to decide if they make sense. As with most bulk products, hauling costs can be a big factor. If they need to travel a long way they won't be cost effective. We tried some loads on a failing stretch of road as a bandaid until the road could be replaced. Some of it was great and stayed put. Another load was awful and we got a lot of grief over it. That road is now brand new and the recycled stuff became base.

Our numbers will be different from yours but give me a reference point to use.

3/4 CACB Crushed limestone with fines that packs well with a maximum dimension of 3/4 inch
we get this delivered and spread with compaction included for between $12-15 per ton depending on volume and hauling cost. Good stuff for most uses but needs a solid base under it. Occasional grading if left as a surface, and some replacement is needed over time from snow plowing if it is not covered with another surface.

Recycled asphalt, millings, grindings, or what ever the local term is for the question above. It's often a 19mm stone and smaller with older variable AC (oil) Usually good stuff. They usually want around $25 / ton but it varies depending on supply and demand.

New asphalt. You spec the stone size. 19mm for example. In a road with a volume great enough to get a volume deal we are expecting to pay around $65 / ton laid

So to me it's all about price and expected use. I hope this can be of help.

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)