AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Well, that's not a washout!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 6/13/2019 11:01 (#7556834 - in reply to #7556769)
Subject: RE: Well, that's not a washout!

Kingston,Mi
Lots of abandoned wells were filled under a state program funded by a small tax on fertilizer and pesticides. Well had to be inactivated before a specific date. Look at old historical photos and count all of the homesteads that are not there any more, most have an abandon well that quite likely wasn't closed properly. The conservation district used 1941 photos to locate a good number of these wells, after measurements of likely sites were made, they used a survey pin locator to find the well pipe. They then excavated a smaller area to expose the pipe. After several were found, a local well driller and his crew would spend a day filling several wells with bentonite. He got nearly all of the business because regardless of the diameter or depth, he charged just one price, which was what the state would pay per well. I had a 90 foot driven well (in gravel not to bedrock) filled as a demonstration for the program when it was started. Later I filled a second 90 ft. gravel well myself using bentonite chips (land owner is allowed to fill non bedrock wells if the states method is followed and the correct paperwork is filed).
There is a coal field near the Saginaw Bay, it was mapped for extent and depth by drilling or pounding wells. The casings were cut off below common tillage and plugged by driving a baseball bat into the pipe, refill excavation then move a distance and repeat. It is believed that this exploration activity allowed sat water that was present in great depths to migrate up and contaminate useable aquifers with salt to the point that drinking this water made you thirsty.

The founder of DOW Chemical settled in Midland because he could use some of the raw chemicals found in deep wells.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)