AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silage bag?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 6/4/2019 20:04 (#7541510)
Subject: Silage bag?

NE Iowa
It's been 15 years since bagged silage so please bear with me because will likely have lots of questions in the next year. My permanent grass pasture was crazy tall after all the rain and hitting it with N about April 1st. So decided to take a cutting of hay off my alfalfa grass fields that I normally pasture that border my permanent pasture. Because weather to make dry hay is unlikely and wanting it done soon I had a neighbor chop and bag it yesterday. For several reasons the bagger is still sitting where the last load was unloaded and it rained an inch this morning. So my questions:

1) I bought a long bag for the bagger and plan on cutting it and reloading the unused part for corn silage. I assume there will be a lot of silage in the tunnel when bagger is pulled ahead. Can I cut bag long and just leave this looser silage in the bag and seal it? Everything is on pasture so no nothing to feed the spillage too.

2) How long do I leave the bag open before sealing and does it need venting. Guy that sold me the bag said with alfalfa / grass leave it open 2-3 days and close it without venting. That sound right?

3) What is best way to seal it? For several reasons I don't want to put dirt on it. Can I use a couple 2x4's, wrap excess bag on one and "clamp" it with the other? Then weight down the loose plastic on the top with tires? Would that work?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)