AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cummins 855 exhaust manifold bolt removal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 5/25/2019 16:38 (#7520567 - in reply to #7519303)
Subject: RE: Cummins 855 exhaust manifold bolt removal

Faunsdale, AL
I don't mind heating the head up around the stuck bolt. Not red hot mind you, but good and hot. Sounds like you still have lots of options, but the process of welding the nut on, heating up the bolt and then it cooling and shrinking doesn't always get the job done. Some heat to the cast iron surrounding the cool bolt might get you there.

I had several 3/8" bolts on a 9600 combine that wrung off flush with the head. I didn't even try the weld a nut trick working with a stick welder on a vertical surface through the removable panel in the wall or the grain tank. Figured I might set the whole combine on fire or just weld the bolt to the head. So I tried drilling them.

Apparently I had hardened them by heating and cooling, so that none of my bits would cut them. Finally asked the local machinist and he said buy a cobalt bit. Nobody had one in town, but Fastenal had some that said they would usually work where cobalt bits were required. Sure enough, the bit cut right through the hardened layer and I drilled out all 3 with no trouble. Of course the trick when drilling is getting centered and staying centered and straight as you are drilling. Maybe go rent or borrow a magnetic base drill if you think you can fit one in there? I just rigged up a chain and a 2x4 to put pressure on my cordless drill.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)