AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deere versus Vermeer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dieselfume1
Posted 5/25/2019 08:24 (#7519780 - in reply to #7519112)
Subject: RE: Deere versus Vermeer

SE MT
EATANGUS - 5/24/2019 21:27

I am wondering the pros and con on the 568 or 569 deere versus the Vermeer 605SM,605M or 605N balers. Here are a few key points I would like to here about.

Speed of baling
Baling short light crop which baler picks up better
Baling in wind
Heavy window baling
Getting a bale started
Loading net wrap
Wrapping time difference
Which would need more Hp
Corn stalk baling
And what ever else you guys care to share. TIA!

We still have our old John Deere 567 Baler which we run along with the Vermeer 605n . The Vermeer and John Deere both make a nice Bale, the Vermeer is an open throat design the way the John Deere's used to be, so it will swallow about anything you can put into it without plugging unlike the John Deere with their stuffer bar. The Vermeer has longer teeth that are hooked on the end that will pick up light crop better than the deere will. Also the chains and bearings are larger on the Vermeer and greasable. The Vermeer tailgate may be a second longer to close because it has larger cylinders, but if you put them on equivalent tractors the difference is negligible in that regard. The Vermeer net wrap system is much easier to load then on the John Deere, and while on the subject of net wrap, Vermeer net is hands-down better than what Deere sells and is less money generally. The Vermeer Baler is heavier, but that is because they put more steel into it and I expect it to fully last longer. Right now our 567 has got cracks in the tailgate and in the chamber and has for years. Are 567 was a good baler and did its job, but there were weak points in it where bearings were too small chains were too small bearings were under sized and you always had to worry about it plugging when you got into a heavy wind row. I have none of those concerns with the Vermeer, in fact it is never plugged or failed to start a bail in the 4 years we've had it. Also, when we were pricing new balers before we bought the Vermeer, the Vermeer Baler was $8,000 less. We ordered ours without the pickup disengagement clutch, don't know if that's still an option but just one less thing to worry about going wrong. I also really like the Vermeer touch screen monitor so handy..

I think Vermeer also offers the 605 n in a corn stock special. I'm not quite sure why some would prefer the super M over the N series, because the N is just built off of the super m design with a few upgrades.
Also we have never had a tooth break on our Vermeer, while I seem to put 10 to 20 teeth per year in the John Deere, definitely gets irritating

I'm not sure if the Vermeer Bales a lot better in the wind but seems to do a good job. I really do like the ramp Style kicker the Vermeer has over what John Deere has been selling. The ramp style only moves the bale just enough for the tailgate to close instead of slinging the Bale across the field which doesn't work well when you're working on side sloped areas. Also, you want the big balloon style rear tires makes it so much easier on the baler. We also ordered ours with the work light option, which puts a light inside of each door and under the net wrap tailgate, which is super handy when bailing at night and needing to service a Reload net. It gets its power off of the factory plug-in on the back of your tractor for tail lights and such

Edited by dieselfume1 5/25/2019 08:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)