AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Running different branded tires front and back
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dieselfume1
Posted 5/22/2019 19:36 (#7513740)
Subject: Running different branded tires front and back

SE MT
The new tractor we bought came in with new el cheapo Firestone SAT IIs 23degree on the back(18.4-38), and bald radials on the front. Went to buy new matching fronts in the firestone SAT II, and I can't even order them, they don't make them in that size (16.9-26). So I was stuck with buying either new Bias ply firestones which weren't in stock(and were $300 more per tire), or Good Year dyna torques. There wasn't really even a good low cost bias ply tire option in that size. So I had them put on the Good Years. Not the solution I wanted, but I think will work.

When the tire shop checked the advertised diameter of the good year vs the firestone, they were the same, but actual roll out diameter of the good year was more. How can that be if the diameter is the same?

We don't use front asssit on these tractors unless the snow is deep, or when farming or mudding around, so I don't see alot of wear and tear being put on the front assist system, but the tire shop wasn't happy I was running two different brands of tires front and back. Their solution was for me to sell the rear tires I had (for peanuts) and buy all four brand new tires in a radial, which would have cost me around $5000

Seemed like a no win deal for me, but what's the right thing to do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)