AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WI-FI Repeater / Extender
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/26/2019 07:01 (#7521437 - in reply to #7513000)
Subject: Have done this

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am learning about the camera situations on the farm since we are doing some of the things mentioned above. I have two separate situations.

1) Our dryer setup is at the farm where my great nephew lives. He has WiFi in his house. He bought an internet camera that is pointing at the dryer panel and is hardwired to a WiFi extender in the dryer shack. This communicates wirelessly to his house where it reaches his router. The router gets the picture on the internet. We can watch the dryer panel from out smartphones. He has an Android and I have an iPhone. The picture below shows what we see. For this situation we are using an app called Wansview. Others would likely work as well.

The situation mentioned in the original post is virtually identical to our situation. The dryer shack is reasonably close to the house. The WiFi extender is plugged into and supported by a regular outlet in the dryer shack. The door is normally closed but that doesn't seem to be a problem. This is within line of sight of the router in the house but a bin is close which doesn't seem to bother.

The picture shows the dryer display which turns yellow or red when there are problems. The black box to the right is my bin level indicator display. Due to the way the drying setup evolved we have two wet holding bins. The LEDs show the status of each. It is handy to be able to check on the status of the dryer and bin levels from our phones.

2) I am currently experimenting with another camera setup for loading my truck. I got the idea here and just put it together yesterday. With this arrangement the camera could be setup to use the internet much like the above setup but can communicate directly to my iPhone or iPad in the truck since the distance will be close. This is what is meant by AP (Access Point). I think of Access Point as meaning direct between the two devices without actually getting the internet involved. This is how I use my iPad with Agfiniti in my planting tractor to get the data from my InCommand to the iPad wirelessly. There too, the internet could be involved so the information would get to the cloud where it could be retrieved with other devices but I chose not to do it that way since a yearly license and hotspot would be needed.

The idea with my loading camera assembly shown below is that it will be placed on a grain bin overlooking the truck and communicate wirelessly directly with the iPad in the truck. The electrical box contains a 110VAC to 12VDC adapter to provide the 12VDC the camera needs (it could run off of 12VDC directly). I haven't actually used it with the truck yet but tested it yesterday by placing it on a post and driving away with my Ranger where I had my iPhone. I drove almost to my neighbors before the picture was lost which would be very adequate for its intended purposes. With this camera I am using the CamHi app (since it was suggested) for both the iPhone and iPad. Again others would likely work. I could likely use the WiFi extender at my great nephews place when loading there but since the truck and camera will always be close to each other this "direct" approach seems a good fit.

Edited by tedbear 5/26/2019 08:57

(DryerPic (full).JPG)

(LoadlingCamera (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DryerPic (full).JPG (47KB - 178 downloads)
Attachments LoadlingCamera (full).JPG (91KB - 176 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)