AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 345 hood repair
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 5/21/2019 21:55 (#7511741 - in reply to #7511176)
Subject: RE: John Deere 345 hood repair

Some of the plastic I have repaired in the past I have used some of these methods:

1.) look and see if you can identify what type of plastic it is....
2.) Go online and find a specified adhesive that corresponds to that particular grade of plastic
3.) Large paper clips or shim washers....join the two portions of the crack or break, use Gorilla tape or any other type of jigging, then make the paper clips or narrow rim washers hot, and let them melt in both sides of the repair.
4.) Now you can take a plastic welder , large soldering iron or hot air torch and fill in over the melted in metal used above, or use the correct adhesive. I like using an epoxy versus fiberglass, but will use window screen or fiberglass matting to help reinforce the backside of repair. Sometimes if you are careful, you can drill small holes in the existing plastic for the epoxy resin to nest or settle in.
5.) once you have the backside solid, now you can take plastic welder, soldering iron or hot air torch and melt / fuse in the top side of repair.
I like leaving a slight groove or valley on top, then use Bondo to fill the repair. Use a specified primer over the plastic...Epoxys work well, then you can build from there.
If you use a primer like PPG DP40, then you can add the plastic filler for sanding over that, as DP40 is a flexible primer....then you can top coat with a urethane filler surfacer, seal it and then paint.

All the above are great for repairs like bumpers on cars...and will end up being more money than you can get a new hood for if you go all out and paint it.
On those hoods, its hard to get paint to stick for a long time without proper prep, because of migrations of the polymers in the plastic need to be sealed off and cleaned.
After about a year or two, the paint will flake or come off in chunks, and even more so if hit with a power washer...BTDT trying some cheap way outs on other stuff.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)