AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spraying gramoxone for the first time / precautions needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 5/11/2019 12:44 (#7491129 - in reply to #7489592)
Subject: RE: Spraying gramoxone for the first time / precautions needed

nw NC
Use care and common sense in handling the concentrate while mixing and also the mixed solution while spraying. You will have no problem.
I do not have cab equipped tractor for spraying. I never spray in wind more than 3-4 mph to avoid getting sprayer mist on me by it being whipped around by swirling breezes. I always carry at least one gallon of clean water with me on the tractor should there be a hose rupture or other problem. ( Has not ever happened, but..........)

We started using Paraquat (the active ingredient in Gramoxone) for no-till burn down in 1971 and have used it in many years since. It destroys plants by desiccation, damaging the membrane of the cell wall of the leaf material so that the leaf dries out quickly. Young, tender annual weed plants dehydrate and die. Older, tough, perennial big rooted plants can survive the above ground destruction but will re-grow from root. Some guys not getting complete kill on larger vegetation with Gramoxone are not applying enough gallon/acre solution to do the job. Label, I believe, states minimum 30 gal/acre on big, thick vegetation. I used 40 gal/acre on a jungle of vetch, small grain, ryegrass cover crops or just winter broadleaf weeds and grasses and never failed to get complete and thorough kill on non-perennials. Dock species and horse nettle always regrew and became a problem until glyphosate came along and got cheap enough to use the heavy rate required for dock. Gly (and 2-4-D) has been my choice for 25 years or more, as it gets dock and horse nettle. Occasionally now I will use a paraquat product if summer annuals start growing in burned down ground before I start planting due to weather or other delay. This year a little ryegrass has survived a gly application in one small field but paraquat will take it out along with some summer grasses beginning to show now.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)